Well, this post is primarily aimed at acquainting the next batches with the placement procedure at VJTI. Some of these pointers may have already been explained earlier, but I am putting them down all the same for the sake of completeness.
The placement procedure usually begins at the and of May. Incase of Batch of 2009, due to internships, the placement season was pushed forward to mid June. There are 3 types of rounds/groups of companies that visit the campus, each having it’s own rules of entry. In addition each company has certain criteria such as a base CPI or particular branches, etc. The placement rounds usaually include :
- Closed House : In this round, if you are selected for a particular company, then you are debarred from sitting for any further placements in this round. So choose your companies well, although the list of companies is usually not available at the beginning. The companies participating in this round are usally the lowest rung IT Companies such as TCS and Accenture but for core branches (Civil,Mech,Elect), the best best companies come in this round including Bajaj, Tata Motors, etc. Some of the companies in this round include:
- IT/Computers – TCS, Accenture, Wipro, Patni, ATOS, CTS, etc
- Core Branches – Bajaj Auto, L&T, Tata Motors, etc
- Electronics/Electrical – Wipro VLSI, Slumberger,Siemens,Reliance Energy,etc
- Parallel Companies : This is a special kind of closed house round which is usually organised for TCS and Accenture. Students from all branches are allowed to sit for both companies but have to specifiy their preferences. If you get into both companies, you are offered your preferred company.
- Dream House : In this round, you are allowed to choose for one out of three companies. If you are not selected you may sit for one out of the next set. These companies are mostly IT companies with pay packages in excess of 5 lacs. The rules for this round vary from year to year. In our case, it became similar to another Closed House round. The companies in this round include Avaya Global, Morgan Stanley,Nevis Networks, JP Morgan, etc
- Open House : This is a free for all round with no restrictions on the no. of job offers in hand. Pay packages range from 5 to 8 Lacs. Companies include Lehman Brothers, CISCO, Deloitte, etc
The selection procedure for most companies consists of an Aptitude Test ( sometimes only CAT Type and sometimes CAT Type + Technical), Group Discussions, Case Presentations, Technical Interviews and HR Interviews.
Well, that’s an introduction to the placement process. The details about specific companies will be updated in the near future so stay tuned!!